Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hibernation of the Halcyon

Life has, as of recent years, transitioned from a more carefree state, to being permeated by necessitous tasks and littered with situations which demand near immediate attention to avoid tiny crisis. Thinking on summers long gone, I can recall them being filled with lazy afternoons, the frivolous pursuit of childish amusement, and the simple joys of having to adhere to no rigid schedule. My summers in the past few years have been focused on working and making enough money to persuade my university to allow me to return for yet another year of education. I can remember when I was home-schooled and woke up minutes before noon to prepare a breakfast worthy of a king, or at least a duke, and then proceeded to watch Sesame Street and The Price is Right, before quickly completing the HW left for me by my parents before they returned home from work...or my high school years where I could coast through classes and maintain an honor roll GPA, while devoting most of my efforts to enjoying the part of school which I have always valued the most..the people.
Now life provides less room for this dolce far niente that I treasured so much. I notice the luxury of carefree existence slipping through my fingers, to be replaced by obligation and practicality.
It isn't that I fear or dislike work. I suppose I just feel as though I have to change my expectation for what life will send my way. I have to assume the mindset of one who will have to work substantially to reach those goals that I have set. I am not so fortunate as to be born into an affluence which would allow me to maintain carefree behavior well into my adult years.
I accept that such things must be, for this is the hand which has been dealt me, but I refuse to become calloused, jaded, or grave due to the demands of life. I would much rather retain my jovial spirits and playful vigor, for in doing so I believe it will be an asset to me when the duties of life weigh down on me hard.
Besides, should I yield to the demand for a more work oriented attitude, it will, hopefully, pay off in end with yet another stage of blissful inactivity....

3 comments:

  1. Good points, bud. Always make life special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to be retired right now...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. work can be hard buddy but you're doing a great job and i admire you for it

    ReplyDelete